Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 4 PPT Presentation

I have created several power point presentations during my college career and as a student teacher. The power point presentation I am most proud of is "William's House" vocabulary presentation. This presentation consisted of only 8 very simple slides. The reason I was so proud of this presentation, was because of the success my students felt because of it. "William's House" was a story in our 3rd grade reading book about a colonists who moves his whole family from England, and has to build his home from scratch. William builds this house to accompany the weather conditions in England. Therefore, as the seasons change William is forced to make changes to his new home to accommodate the weather in the colonies.
My students were having a really hard time understanding the meaning of the vocabulary words for the week: clearing, steep, spoil, pegs, barrel, and cellar. One slide contained all vocabulary words. We said them together so that everyone knew the correct pronunciation. Then each word was put onto a slide with a descriptive picture for that word. We then discussed each definition and picture. Their assignment for the day was to draw each word correctly in a picture. After seeing the presentation, my students went right to work! They really enjoyed this lesson. It was so much better than doing a worksheet filling in the blank with the correct vocabulary word. Having that visual aid touch so many of my learners, especially my ESL students. These words were completely new for them! Without the visual aids on my PPT Presentation, the majority of my students would have been very discouraged and felt unsuccessful.
The only changes I would make if I were to do it again, would be to jazz up the presentation. I quickly put this together during class once I saw how my students were struggling. I really did not want to take the time to add a lot of animations or sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment